11 Dec 2008

*Finally blogspot is finally back to normal.*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A date to remember

Weeks before I returned home, I had a meaningful lunch date with Dato' Hashim Yaccob. Our previous Vice Chancellor. 

I dedicate this blog to this man, Dato Hashim. A man who just want to go across. A humble man even he already crossed over. His humorous personality always capture our laugther. Humble sharing of his background and his past made my heart touch. He is someone would not cross your mind that he is someone 'from across the other side'.

When he walked into the restaurant, he was with his coat and tie. Look smart and humourously cute even he is an elder friend. His presence made us feel honoured and happy. Yes, just happy and feel excited to know this new friend more. He fed us like a father during our lunch and most of the time he talked to us like father. 

We went up to his office coz I really wish to look at the photo of him and his mother when he was small. As I stepped into the office, everyone looked at us. I felt the atmosphere changed. They paid close attention to these two girls who were enjoying talking and laughing with Dato Hashim more than what they are typing on their computers. 

The big photo of his mother and him placed right in front of him. The photo bring my mind back home. The setting is exactly like my mother's home; rumah atap; kampung house with lots of trees. 

Dato Hashim broke the silence in his office, ' I am just the son of a rubber tapper... I climbed very hard...very hard'. I was overwhelmed by his sharing. I was touched. Tears flooded til my throat but I managed to control. Then, he shared with us something precious. His book- 'Aku hanya mahu ke seberang'. This is book has all his best poems. He won the prices for his poem and acknowledged by Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka. This term 'Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka' appeals so close to me now coz I hear the poet speaks.

This poet read his best poems for us. they were about his father and mother. Tears controlled both of us and found his way out from our eyes as we listened to this poet read his poems. Hardship, poverty and love of parents had brought him across to the other side. He climbed so hard just to sail across but he never forget about his identity, not ashame of his background and never forget who he is. Not to forget his beloved wife who gives him so much love, happiness and support all these years along the hard road. The poet speaks with true sharing and emotions.

We walked out from his office sobbing and smilling.

It will never be a day of joy if we never be thankful for what we have;
It will never be a fruitful life if we never put in our best and hard work;
we will never have a chance to look back and feel satisfied if we give up fast and blame everything but ourselve.

This is the photo of the man who wants to go across

 

0 comments:

 

Copyright 2010 Love and Grace.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.